Working for a Tobacco-Free West Virgina!
Tobacco takes a huge toll in West Virginia. The following are some of the facts about tobacco use in our state:
- High school students who smoke - 19.1%
- Male high school students who use smokeless or spit tobacco - 25.5%
- Kids (under 18) who become new daily smokers each year - 2,600
- Adults in West Virginia who smoke - 28.6%
- Adults who die each year from smoking - 3,800
- Kids now under 18 and alive in West Virginia who will ultimately die prematurely from smoking - 46,000
- Annual health care costs in West Virginia directly caused by smoking - over $700 million per year
Fighting tobacco use in West Virginia is important to everyone. Citizens from every part of the state are coming together to protect citizens from exposure to second-hand smoke, provide cessation services to make it easier from tobacco users to quit and to prevent tobacco products from landing in the hands of kids.
We hope you will join us in our efforts!